Introduction to the Volley-Blog of our journey to Cape Town, South Africa

To teach, through the framework of volleyball, excellence, commitment, respect of self and others, and to have success within a culture of trust.

#capetownbound

This is the mission statement as I wrote it over 25 years ago. It’s guided me while I made decisions about personnel, goals, schedules,and outcomes. In this, my final year of coaching the Hornets, I’m excited to experience one more international trip with this 2018 team. We began in 2009 with a trip to China, followed by Costa Rica in 2012 and then Trinidad and Tobago in 2015. Each trip we’ve competed with teams above, at, and below our levels of play, and regardless of level of play, we have felt a warm reception and an international camaraderie that is different than what one feels on study abroad. We experience sport in another culture, where the game is our language, and the joy is felt in the play.

Kalamazoo College’s commitment to international relations,study abroad, and a global view inspires me to be a better global citizen, and to work for peace through all my actions. Therefore being true to our mission of teaching within the framework of volleyball to me means traveling together, competing with and meeting teams in other countries, and using the game to make these miraculous connections.  

At the beginning of the season, the team enjoys a respite workout in the pool during the hot days of August. One of their favorite activities, and perhaps as a challenge to each other, is to jump (or dive) off of the 3-meter board, which brings that butterfly feeling that can be perceived as either fear or excitement. I encourage them to name is as excitement, where fear isn’t even a thought. Just like this trip, these last minute butterflies are absolutely excitement and extreme gratitude. We’ve done the hard work of preparation; we are standing on the edge of the diving board, and we are ready!

Additionally, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that we are truly blessed and fortunate to have traveled with our K men’s soccer team to Trinidad, and now we will also be visiting South Africa together. Coach Shabazz and his team have committed to learning the lessons of social justice, of service, and of experiencing the joys of international competition. One of the greatest lessons of sport is to go beyond the ego to that place that is greater than the self; to get to that place where we are one, united, and at peace together,where sport is a vehicle for social and global connection, true to our mission,and true to the mission of Kalamazoo College.

Lastly, our Hornet hearts are filled with gratitude for all the financial support of our donors. You travel with us in spirit, and inform our experiences. Thank you! If you have not yet made a gift, but would like to,click on https://www.kzoo.edu/onlinegiving/. On the giving page please scroll down to “Other” and enter”South Africa – Volleyball.” This is a tax-deductible donation to Kalamazoo College, for which you receive no goods or services. Your gift will help make the trip possible for the entire team, and will not be supporting one particular student-athlete, per NCAA rules.

Stay tuned for 9 more updates from our team. Enter the adventure!!!

1 thought on “Introduction to the Volley-Blog of our journey to Cape Town, South Africa

1. So proud and happy for you all! What a significant experience in forming young adults on so many levels. I applaud K College, and I am so grateful that our granddaughter, and all of you, have this amazing opportunity.

God Bless, safe travels, and remember to have a little fun every day!